Americans love our fast food. While we’re at the drive-thru picking up burgers and fries, we want something sweet to finish off the meal. So fast food joints have all kinds of desserts for us to choose from. Some are outstanding, but some aren’t worth the calories. So the taste-testers at “Eater” did the hard work for us and tried 53 different desserts and here’s what they found to be the best and the worst fast food desserts around.
Let’s start with the best:
- Wendy’s Vanilla AND Chocolate Frosty - You have to ask for this combo of the two flavors, it’s not on the menu, but that’s what makes it number one on this list.
- Taco Bell Cinnamon Twists - They’re iconic for a reason and so light you could actually eat them after a Taco Bell meal.
- Sonic Green Apple Ice Cream Slush/Sonic Fresh Banana Shake - The Banana Shake sounds simple and delicious, but we’re not so sure about drinking something that tastes like a Jolly Rancher or a creamy appletini.
- Popeye’s Hand Pies - They’re fried and served warm and that limited-time Raspberry N’ Cream flavor was their favorite.
- Dairy Queen Orange Julius Original - This citrusy classic does not disappoint.
- Sonic Oreo Blast - The taste-testers compare it to Breyers’ Cookies and Cream ice cream and who doesn’t love that stuff?
- Shake Shack Malted Shake - After eating a spicy fried chicken sandwich, this malted was the perfect dessert, beating out other fast food shakes.
- Chick-fil-A Icedream Cone - They don’t call it “soft serve” or “ice cream,” but these reviewers say it’s not only better than the cones at Mickey D’s, but that it’s the best fast-food soft serve.
- Domino’s Cinnamon Bread Twists - Bread dipped in butter and cinnamon sugar? What’s not to love?
- Domino’s Marbled Blondie Cookie and Brownie - Some pizza delivery desserts are just afterthoughts, but this one is reminded reviewers of Ghirardelli’s boxed brownie mix and they say the blondie bits balance it out with some salty, buttery flavor.
And now for the worst fast food desserts they tried:
- The “poorly branded” desserts at Burger King - From the shakes to the pies, these desserts are all over the place and not worth ordering.
- McDonald’s Vanilla Cone, Oreo McFlurry, Caramel Sundae - The taste testers describe the frozen desserts here as having a bizarre waxiness to them and apparently the addition of Oreos or caramel doesn’t help.
- Popeye’s Mardi Gras Cheesecake - The reviewers put it best, describing this dessert like, “This tastes like Mardi Gras threw up on an average slice of cheesecake.”
- Sonic Ocean Water - One reviewer flat out refused to taste this, another said it’s “mainlining a coconut-scented lava lamp.” And that sounds awful.
- Taco Bell Caramel Apple Empanada - No texture of apples or even a trace of their true taste here.