Congratulations must go out to New Smyrna Beach, Florida. They’ve been named the “shark attack capital of the world” because it’s estimated that whenever you’re enjoying the waters there, you’re about 10-feet away from a shark at any given time. That’s why it’s also known as “The Shark Pit.” This, and many other shark fun facts, come to you from the folks at Nat Geo. In addition, try these facts on for size:
- Only 5 people each year die from shark attacks, as compared to millions that die from starvation.
- Since 1580, 90% percent of shark attacks happened to guys.
- The biggest year for “unprovoked” shark attacks was 2010, with 79 of them.
- September is the biggest month for Florida shark attacks, with 93 happening between 1920 and 2010.
- In 1996, toilets injured 43,000 Americans. Sharks injured 13.